Thursday 19 April 2007

The first thing I felt, in the darkness, was a squelchy sickness in my stomach, pinning me in position. A fuzzy pain had descended on my head I could only think furtively beneath it's fog.

Through this gloom I remembered ordering margehrita late the previous night. There had been a look of disdain on barman's face. All around me were people ordering what looked like coctails, drinking coctails or slumbering over empty cocktail glasses. I thought I would fit in. They were drinking vodka, (with grapefruit). Asking for a full cocktail was bad form.

There had definately been dancing, I remembered being surrounded by techno and strobe lights. A vaguely quaint reminder of the mid nineties, made me feel young again. In the gloom surely nobody could see my grey hair. (Unless of course it was being picked out for all to see in some sort of club neon lighting).

By 2pm I had to get up, I'm only here for 2 days, spending one of them in bed was a total waste. Nausea came over me in waves in the tiled shower. I kept it together. A friend tells me to enjoy hangovers - they give you a different perspective on life. My perspective was now reduced to the scope of each step I took, each seemed harder than the last. We made it out of the hotel. Creeping to the corner of the street, keeping close to the wall. Had to slow down , I'm too old for this.

No comments: